Business and Commercial
Critical Motions / Appeals
Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2016
Thomas Edison State College, B.A., Political Science, 2012
Judge Bernard A. Friedman, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, 2016-2018
Michigan State Courts
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Frankie Dame focuses his work on business and commercial litigation, class actions, and critical motions and appeals. His practice focuses on primarily highly regulated industries.
- Represented the Michigan House of Representatives and Michigan Senate in a successful suit challenging the power of the Governor to declare indefinite states of emergency.
- Successfully represented the Michigan House of Representatives and Michigan Senate in several election-law suits in state and federal court leading up to the 2020 election.
- Secured dismissal of 17-count complaint asserting state-constitutional-law claims, RICO claims, and various state-statutory and common-law claims against the Michigan House of Representatives and several past Representatives and staffers, secured affirmance on appeal, and defeated collateral litigation in Michigan Court of Claims.
- Assisted in successfully defeating a challenge to Michigan’s repeal of the prevailing wage.
- Drafted dispositive motions in state and federal cases on behalf of several Michigan counties defending class-action challenge to Michigan’s tax foreclosure system.
- Drafted multiple amicus briefs in the Michigan Supreme Court, including for several municipal government associations in tax foreclosure cases.
- Assisted in representing the Michigan Senate in its successful defense of Michigan’s 2012 redistricting lines.
- Assisted in drafting complaint and dispositive motion on behalf of a major political party challenging Michigan’s redistricting law.
- Counseled former legislators who were subpoenaed to provide documents in redistricting litigation and various other miscellaneous matters.
- Represented public utilities before the Michigan Public Service Commission, including drafting briefs and appearing before the Commission.
- Represented a northern Michigan public utility in Circuit Court and the Court of Appeals in a territorial dispute with another utility, drafting the dispositive motion and appeal brief.
- Assisted in drafting a Declaratory Ruling request filed before the Michigan Liquor Control Commission and drafted a Claim of Appeal to the Circuit Court—both for an out-of-state alcoholic beverage company. Later secured related injunctive relief for the client in the Court of Claims.
- Represented a major Michigan healthcare company before the Department of Health and Human Services, Michigan Circuit Court, and Michigan Court of Claims in an administrative appeal and original action involving the Department’s certificate-of-need rules.
- Defended a family of real estate companies before the Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services against a complaint challenging their business practices as unethical and racially discriminatory.
Tort (Product Liability and Negligence)
- Defended Big Three domestic automakers in multiple high-exposure product liability suits and claims nationwide, including drafting many dispositive motions and extensive discovery practice.
- Assisted in securing partial dismissal of a multi-million dollar products-liability claim against a foreign auto manufacturer.
- Represented a Fortune 40 medical-device manufacturer in several high-value cases, securing dismissal or settlement of all claims before trial.
- Represented escalator manufacturer in products-liability litigation, including taking medical depositions.
- Secured settlement of personal-injury action against multi-state energy transmission corporation.
- Secured summary disposition of a wrongful death claim against a commercial vehicle owner before discovery began.
- Drafted successful dispositive and other motions on behalf of the nation’s largest debt-buyer in FDCPA class action litigation in federal district courts in Michigan, Ohio, and Washington, and defended Sixth Circuit appeal for same client.
- Represented a nationwide mortgage company in successful quiet-title action.
- Coordinated applications for and secured dozens of broadband franchises for a northern Michigan energy cooperative.
- Represented several Michigan colleges and universities in their governance of charter schools including charter school reauthorizations, contract amendments, and litigation.
- Represented defendant charged with first-degree murder after his first conviction was overturned; secured a substantially reduced sentence, taking fact and expert witnesses in the process.
- Represented a plaintiff in a § 1983 First Amendment retaliation lawsuit against a prison official.
Prior to joining BSP, Frankie was a governmental policy and practice associate in Dykema Gossett PLLC’s Lansing office. He also clerked for Judge Bernard A. Friedman at the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. During law school, Frankie interned for the United States Department of Justice, the United Nations’ International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, Sixth Circuit Judge David W. McKeague, and the Michigan Attorney General’s Office. Between college and law school, he worked for the Michigan Republican Party, Michigan Senate, and Michigan Attorney General’s Office.
Frankie received his B.A. in Political Science from Thomas Edison State College. He then went on to receive his J.D., summa cum laude, from Michigan State University College of Law in 2016. While there, he was a teaching and research assistant (contracts and bankruptcy law), an Associate Editor for the Michigan State International Law Review, and Vice-President of the Modern Abolitionist Legal Society.
Honors & Awards
King Scholar (full-tuition, merit-based scholarship)
Finalist in the 1L Advocacy Competition
2013 Vern Ehlers Intern Award
2013 Frank Fitzgerald Award (public service award)
Grand Rapids Chamber of Commerce, Tax & Regulatory Affairs Committee, Environmental Affairs Committee, Member
Federal Bar Association for the Eastern District of Michigan, Member
Ingham County Bar Association, Member
Federalist Society, Member
Inns of Court, Associate, 2017–2019
Student Statesmanship Institute, Moot Court Instructor/Speaker, 2015–2018
“The Effect of Internal Criminal Tribunals on Local Judicial Culture” 24 Mich. State Int’l L. Rev. 213 (2015)
Favorite Book: Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
Favorite Vacation: Backpacking anywhere in Europe
Favorite Show: Seinfeld