Business and Commercial
Critical Motions / Appeals
Embedded Appellate Counsel for Trial
Vanderbilt University Law School, J.D., Order of the Coif, 2020
University of Detroit Mercy, M.B.A., 2017
University of Michigan, B.A., Sport Management, 2014
The Honorable Joseph H. McKinley, Jr., U.S. District Court for the Western District of Kentucky, 2020-2021
Michigan State Courts
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Jeffrey (“Jeff”) A. Turner is an Associate at Bush Seyferth PLLC, focusing his practice on complex commercial litigation, with particular emphasis on critical motions and appeals. He has drafted dispositive motions in state and federal court across many industries, including product liability, class actions, and environmental disputes.
Critical Motions and Appeals
- Led briefing of successful motion to dismiss in putative consumer fraud class action on behalf of an automotive manufacturer.
- Briefed and argued successful opposition to subject-matter jurisdiction challenge in federal-court admiralty action.
- Led briefing of successful summary judgment motion in case alleging failure to implement emerging technology, obtaining complete dismissal of action.
- Successfully briefed and argued before the Michigan Supreme Court on behalf of a criminal defendant, establishing the duress defense to depraved-heart murder under Michigan law.
- Drafted successful summary judgment opposition on issue of future damages on behalf of an automotive manufacturer.
- Drafted successful summary judgment motion in case involving advanced driver-assistance technologies.
- Defeated class certification on behalf of national homebuilder in federal court.
Business and Commercial Litigation
- Defended national telecommunications provider in consumer-protection case.
- Represented alternative energy company in breach of contract dispute.
Prior to joining Bush Seyferth PLLC, Jeff clerked for The Honorable Joseph H. McKinley, Jr. of the United States District Court for the Western District of Kentucky. During law school, Jeff externed for the United States Attorney’s Office for the Middle District of Tennessee.
Jeff graduated from Vanderbilt Law School, where he was Executive Editor of the Vanderbilt Law Review and graduated Order of the Coif. Prior to that, he received his B.A. in Sport Management from the University of Michigan, and his Master of Business Administration from the University of Detroit Mercy.
Before law school, Jeff spent several years as a Division I lacrosse coach at the University of Michigan and the University of Detroit Mercy.
Honors / Awards
Vanderbilt Law School, Order of the Coif
Vanderbilt Law School, Scholastic Excellence Award: Civil Procedure
Vanderbilt Law Review Candidate’s Award
Detroit Bar Association Foundation Fellows Class (2023)
American Constitution Society, Member
Detroit Bar Association, Member, Barristers Section President-Elect (2023 – Current), Treasurer (2022-2023), Inn of Court (2022)
Federal Bar Association, Eastern District of Michigan Chapter, Member
Vanderbilt Law School Alumni Interview Committee
Vanderbilt Law Review, Executive Editor, 2019–20
Product Liability Advisory Council, Future Leader
“Beyond Mere Preservation: Partnering to Prepare the Best Record for Appeal” Oakland County Bar Association LACHES, April 2023 Issue, co-author (2023)
“Student Note: Reestablishing a Knowledge Mens Rea for Armed Career Criminal Act Violent Felonies Post-Voisine” 72 Vand. L. Rev. 1717 (October 2019)
Hobbies: Running, Golf
Favorite TV Show: The Wire
Favorite Sports Teams: Detroit Lions, Detroit Mercy Lacrosse