Bush Seyferth PLLC, a litigation boutique with offices in Michigan and Texas, seeks associates for our growing class actions and appeals team. This group focuses on litigation strategy, research, and writing, with many team members rounding out their dockets with end-to-end litigation. BSP may be small, but we punch above our weight class, regularly working (and sometimes competing) with other leading firms around the country.
Many of our attorneys have returned to working mostly in-office, but BSP has embraced a hybrid in-person/remote environment moving forward. Depending on qualifications and role, we will consider remote-first and non-full-time candidates.
Job Duties Include:
- Spotting and analyzing complex legal issues across topics;
- Drafting and editing trial-related filings, including motions: on critical discovery issues, to dismiss, for summary judgment/disposition, relating to class certification, to exclude experts, in limine, for directed verdict, new trial, and/or JNOV;
- Supporting trial teams, largely for legal issues, sometimes in person. This role includes drafting portions of pre-trial briefs and objections, jury instructions, verdict forms, bench briefs; (see Teaming Up: Appellate and Trial Counsel Partnering to Win);
- Drafting appellate briefs and petitions/applications;
- Editing legal arguments written by others for accuracy and persuasion, sometimes on short deadlines;
- Arguing motions and appeals;
- Strategizing and conducting fact discovery (including written discovery and depositions); and
- Investigating and working with experts, including depositions.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Enjoys challenging, complex legal issues;
- 2-6 years’ experience with majority brief-writing (or equivalent);
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Deep thinker; efficient researcher; persuasive writer and speaker;
- Michigan Bar License (or ability to waive in); and
- Class action experience is a positive.
Benefits & Other Perks:
- Competitive compensation package
- 401(k) program
- Health coverage
- Paid parental leave
- Remote work options
- In-suite, complimentary gym (in Michigan)