Bush Seyferth PLLC, a litigation boutique with offices in Michigan and Texas, seeks associates for our growing class actions and appeals team. This group focuses on litigation strategy, research, and writing, with many team members rounding out their dockets with end-to-end litigation. BSP may be small, but we punch above our weight class, regularly working (and sometimes competing) with other leading firms around the country.
Many of our attorneys have returned to working mostly in-office, but BSP has embraced a hybrid in-person/remote environment moving forward. Depending on qualifications and role, we will consider remote-first and non-full-time candidates.
Job Duties Include:
- Spotting and analyzing complex legal issues across topics;
- Drafting and editing trial-related filings, including motions: on critical discovery issues, to dismiss, for summary judgment/disposition, relating to class certification, to exclude experts, in limine, for directed verdict, new trial, and/or JNOV;
- Supporting trial teams, largely for legal issues, sometimes in person. This role includes drafting portions of pre-trial briefs and objections, jury instructions, verdict forms, bench briefs; (see Teaming Up: Appellate and Trial Counsel Partnering to Win);
- Drafting appellate briefs and petitions/applications;
- Editing legal arguments written by others for accuracy and persuasion, sometimes on short deadlines;
- Arguing motions and appeals;
- Strategizing and conducting fact discovery (including written discovery and depositions); and
- Investigating and working with experts, including depositions.
Skills & Qualifications:
- Enjoys challenging, complex legal issues;
- 2-6 years’ experience with majority brief-writing (or equivalent);
- Excellent research and writing skills;
- Deep thinker; efficient researcher; persuasive writer and speaker;
- Michigan Bar License (or ability to waive in); and
- Class action experience is a positive.
Benefits & Other Perks:
- Competitive compensation package
- 401(k) program
- Health coverage
- Paid parental leave
- Remote work options
- In-suite, complimentary gym (in Michigan)
BSP Law is a premier litigation law firm with a national presence. BSP’s culture of excellence is based on the egalitarian vision of its founding members: a litigation practice where talented attorneys and support professionals thrive in a family environment. We are looking to add a part-time Office Manager to our team of exceptional talent to manage the administrative operations of our Houston-area office located in Humble, Texas. The ideal candidate will be a proactive problem solver with outstanding communication skills and a meticulous attention to detail. This person will be confident, organized, personable, and exhibit a professional demeanor. The right candidate must also have a high level of comfort with conferencing equipment.
Specific Duties Include:
- Greet visitors. Be the poised, friendly, helpful face of the firm.
- Troubleshoot problems with conferencing equipment and related technology.
- Communicating with the property owner re: repairs/complaints.
- Firm vendor liaison.
- Onsite IT support and coordination with IT vendor.
- Managing the maintenance of firm equipment and ordering of supplies.
- Assist with calendaring and travel arrangements.
- Coordinate conference room reservations and food selections for meetings and events.
- Process all copy and scanning projects as well as handling assembly of trial-related materials as requested by firm personnel.
- Assist in the processing of all incoming and outgoing firm mail.
- 5+ years of experience working in an office setting.
- Poised and energetic with great people skills.
- Proficient with office technology and conferencing equipment, specifically Zoom and Teams, and Microsoft Office software.
- Ability to prioritize, show strong attention to detail, and work efficiently in a fast-paced work environment where strict deadlines are common.
- Someone with foresight, who actively seeks opportunities and proposes solutions.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Outstanding client service skills.
- Critical thinker and active listener.
Hours: In the office 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday
Please email resume and introduction to: firstname.lastname@example.org