BSP has extensive class-action experience in areas including consumer protection, environmental, toxic tort, product liability, and construction defect. Our team provides clients with carefully crafted defense strategies aimed at obtaining early dismissals, denials of class certification, and favorable settlements in lawsuits filed nationwide. Particularly when the stakes and challenges are high, corporations trust BSP to pave the way toward success.
- In Arizona federal court, BSP defeated class certification, obtained dismissal of the named plaintiff’s claims, and secured over a half million dollars in costs and fees in a putative construction-defect class action.
- In Michigan federal court, BSP defeated certification of a one-million-vehicle, national consumer class action and favorably settled the named plaintiffs’ claims.
- In Michigan federal court, BSP obtained an early, favorable settlement of the named plaintiff’s claims and dismissal of the putative class claims alleging violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, all without filing a responsive pleading.
- On behalf of multiple major automotive manufacturer clients, BSP has secured pleadings-stage dismissals of several nationwide economic-loss class actions of up to 120 counts in size.
- As class counsel in a putative construction-defect class action involving tens of thousands of homes and seeking $2 billion, BSP obtained a with-prejudice dismissal of the punitive damages claims, excluded testimony of plaintiffs’ liability and damages experts, and defeated class certification.
- BSP is defending an environmental-services firm in over a dozen putative class actions, hundreds of individual actions, and an Attorney General-enforcement action related to the Flint water crisis.
- Representing a private software company, BSP obtained pre-certification dismissal of claims that alleged our client was in part responsible for developing defective software that, according to plaintiffs, wrongfully accused tens of thousands of governmental-benefit recipients of fraud.
- In a South Carolina construction defect litigation, BSP’s class action team crafted a successful motion to compel arbitration for all claims of original-purchaser plaintiffs, and some claims for subsequent-purchaser plaintiffs, fracturing any possible putative class.
- Partnering with construction-defect counsel to defend a Florida putative class action by a homeowners’ association and several individual homeowners, BSP’s team successfully removed the case to federal court, defeated a motion to remand, defeated the HOA’s standing, and obtained a waiver of class and statutory-fraud claims and a voluntary dismissal of other claims.
- In a Florida construction-defect putative class action involving individual homes and townhomes, BSP’s strategic and briefing support helped the trial team obtain a stay to conduct pre-litigation inspections and negotiate a non-class-based resolution.
- Obtained summary judgment of putative due-process class action in Ohio federal court alleging wrongful collection of processing fees.
- In response to a putative class action alleging improper closing fees, secured order compelling individual arbitration of named plaintiffs’ claims, and ultimately voluntary dismissal of class action.