Governmental & Policy Litigation
Governmental entities, policy groups, and individuals turn to BSP Law for advice and representation in all manner of government and policy litigation, including claims related to voting and election laws, questions of constitutional power, and important political questions, among other issues.
BSP has a track record of winning for our clients on motions, at trial, and on appeal. BSP recognizes and appreciates the significant considerations for our government and policy clients beyond the four corners of the lawsuit.
Types of Cases Handled
- Voting and Election Litigation
- Political and Campaign Litigation
- Policy and Advocacy Group Litigation
- First Amendment Litigation
- Appeals and Amicus Briefs
Experience / Representative Matters
- Successfully represented the Michigan Senate and Michigan House of Representatives in lawsuit against the governor, resulting in Michigan Supreme Court opinion declaring that the governor’s executive orders were unconstitutional. One justice of the Michigan Supreme Court called the case “arguably the most significant constitutional question presented to this Court in the last 50 years” House of Representatives v Governor, 943 NW2d 365, 371 (Mich, 2020).
- Successfully represented Michigan Legislature in Michigan Court of Claims and Michigan Court of Appeals, defending Michigan election law from lawsuit by outside interest groups, including 8:00 p.m. ballot-receipt deadline and prohibition on third-party ballot collection.
- On behalf of Michigan Legislature, defeated request for federal injunction of Michigan’s prohibition on soliciting absentee ballot applications and on paying for voter transportation.
- Intervened on behalf of Michigan Legislature and won dispositive motion (affirmed on appeal) affirming the constitutionality of Michigan’s statute concerning the registration of voters in the final two weeks before an election.
- Defeated motion for temporary restraining order against Michigan Senate alleging violation of Open Meetings Act.
- Secured abandonment of subpoenas issued to individual Michigan State Senators.
- Drafted amicus brief and argued in Michigan Supreme Court on behalf of Modular Home Builders Association in support of prevailing argument.
- Assisted in representation of individual challenging employer’s violation of Michigan’s Right-to-Work statute.
- Drafted amicus brief in support of Michigan Manufacturers Association in Michigan Supreme Court regarding personal property tax exemption.
- Secured dismissal of 17-count complaint asserting state-constitutional-law claims, RICO claims, and various state-statutory and common-law claims against the Michigan House of Representatives and several past Representatives and staffers, secured affirmance on appeal, and defeated collateral litigation in Michigan Court of Claims.
- Successfully defeated a challenge to Michigan’s repeal of the prevailing wage.
- Drafted amicus brief for several municipal government associations in tax-foreclosure case before the Michigan Supreme Court.
- Assisted in drafting amicus brief on behalf of the Michigan Senate in a case before the Michigan Supreme Court.
- Assisted in representing the Michigan Senate in its successful defense of Michigan’s 2012 redistricting lines.
- Assisted in drafting complaint and dispositive motion on behalf of a major political party challenging Michigan’s redistricting law.
- Secured settlement of personal-injury action against multi-state energy transmission corporation.
- Represented public utilities before the Michigan Public Service Commission, including drafting briefs and appearing before the Commission.
- Drafted dispositive motions in state and federal cases on behalf of several Michigan counties defending class-action challenge to Michigan’s tax-foreclosure system.
- Assisted in representation of Navajo Nation in trust management suit resulting in $554 million settlement.
- Represented Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation in suits brought by depositors and securities investors in failed banks.
- Represented Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation in suits brought by and against vendors and other debtors of failed banks.
- Michigan Senate
- Michigan House of Representatives
- Individual Michigan Senators and Representatives
- National Right to Work Foundation
- Michigan Public Universities
- Michigan Manufacturing Association
- Modular Home Builders Association