Business & Commercial
Critical Motions / Appeals
Discovery / Employee Depositions
University of Detroit Mercy School of Law, J.D., 2011
Hillsdale College, B.A., Economics, 2007
Michigan State Courts
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
Michael A. Ohly is a senior associate at BSP who specializes in product liability. He has handled high exposure matters and diverse civil litigation. Michael also counsels businesses in liability, corporate governance and contracts.
Automotive Product Liability
- Served as national restraints counsel for automotive OEM, defending multi-million-dollar suits.
- Performed discovery counsel role for automotive OEM – prepare corporate representative and 30(b)(6) witness depositions; coordinate voluminous document searches/productions and witnesses; work with engineers and experts to defend complex defect allegations.
- Defended major automotive manufacturer on various product liability claims and served as lead counsel for defense of multi-million-dollar subrogation claims involving fire loss
- Secured voluntary dismissal for sump pump manufacturer.
- Obtained dismissed for supplier of air conditioning unit.
- Defended contractor on breach of warranty case.
- Won motion to dismiss in federal court on six-figure warranty/lemon lawsuit.
General Civil Litigation
- Drafted and argued summary disposition motion that expunged a deed in a property dispute case.
- Drafted motion for summary judgment for defendant on a $3 million lawsuit involving a loan.
- Defended employee on non-compete lawsuit from prior employer.
- Obtained favorable settlement for employee in wrongful discharge case.
- Represented employee and defeated municipal employer’s motion for protective order in federal court to take deposition of municipality’s executive; took deposition to advance suit.
- Recovered half-million-dollar settlement of commissions on behalf of sales agent company and utilized Michigan Sales Commission Act.
Auto Negligence/PIP and Insurance
- Obtained dozens of dismissals on behalf of no-fault insurer for fraud.
- Represented life insurance beneficiary to overcome denial of benefits.
- Advised start-ups, create business entities and formation/operating agreement documents.
- Counseled businesses and provided contracts.
Prior to joining the BSP team, Michael gained experience as an attorney at Erskine Law P.C. where he practiced in product liability and general civil litigation. Additionally, he was a legal representative for the Consumer Defense Clinic and the State Appellate Defenders Office Clinic.
Michael has served indigents through the Oakland County Bar Association Pro Bono Program where he obtained protective orders and judgments of divorce for victims of domestic violence. He also served as a volunteer Intake Attorney with MACC Legal in Detroit.
Michael is a graduate of Hillsdale College where he received his Bachelor of Arts in Economics. While there, Michael was president of the Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia Fraternity. He went on to the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law to receive his J.D. in May of 2011. He was the recipient of the Dean’s Scholarship and Murray Feldman Scholarship. He received book awards for highest grade in Constitutional Law and Student Appellate Defenders Clinic. He also earned “Best Brief” in the PR Gallagher Moot Court.
Honors & Awards
Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2019 – present)
Defense Research Institute, Products Liability Committee, Member
Federal Bar Association Eastern District of Michigan, Member
Christian Legal Association of Southeast Michigan, Volunteer Attorney
State Bar of Michigan, Business Law Section, Member
National Eagle Scout Association, Lifetime Member
3.5% Hawaiian and loves all things Polynesian
Favorite Activities: coffee, live music, and Dessert Oasis Coffee
Enjoys playing soccer and proud to hold a title in the Rochester Area Recreation League