Business & Commercial
BSP’s complex commercial and business litigation team understands that no two business disputes are the same. We work with our clients to set in motion carefully tailored strategies aimed at meeting the specific needs of each case. Meanwhile, we also work to manage the process of litigation so as to reduce the cost, uncertainty, and distraction it causes, and help our clients make better-informed decisions along the way. At the end of the day, business disputes are business problems; and we deliver solutions, not just fights.
Our team is experienced in handling a wide variety of business disputes, in forums ranging from federal and state courts nationwide to public and private arbitration.
BSP’s Advanced Capabilities
- Business Torts / Fraud
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Unfair Competition / Trade Secrets
- Contracts / Supply Chain / UCC
- Broker-Dealer Issues
- Corporate Governance / Fiduciary Duty
- Health Care
- Intellectual Property
Chambers and Partners Ranking
BSP’s Business and Commercial Practice Group has been ranked in Chambers and Partners 2021 USA Guide for Litigation: General Commercial (Michigan).
Chambers’ ranking tables are compiled through assessment of a firm’s work and opinions from external market sources, which emphasize client feedback. To be ranked in the guide, firms and lawyers must demonstrate sustained excellence.
Clients note that BSP’s practice is, “well informed, thoughtful and professional. They understand the issues and help manage matters in an efficient way,” and “The attorneys are detail-oriented and service-oriented in terms of recognizing what the client needs.”
To view the guide, click here.
- Defended leading truck manufacturer in $80 million supply dispute.
- Lead counsel for a mining company in $25 million breach of lease action involving complex hydrogeology and geology issues.
- Counsel for multiple automotive original equipment manufacturers against suppliers and vendors in supply-chain, warranty, and indemnity disputes.
- Counseled automotive manufacturer in bet-the-brand trademark and trade-dress litigation and parallel regulatory action.
- Obtained rescission of a multi-million-dollar option agreement based on misrepresentation of the purchaser.
- Michigan statewide counsel for leading national do-it-yourself moving and vehicle-rental company for insurance coverage, tort liability, and commercial litigation matters.
- Defended closely held manufacturing business owner in $100 million alter-ego / veil-piercing action.
- Defended CEO of closely held financial-services company through trial and appeal in litigation involving claims of shareholder oppression, breach of contract, and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented plaintiff investor through arbitration to final award of complex business dispute on claims for statutory oppression, breach of fiduciary duty, and conversion.
- Defended seller of digital marketing company in post-closing litigation with former investment advisor.
- Counsel for outside management of agricultural products holding company in business torts and governance action.
- Lead counsel in complex multimillion-dollar shareholder dispute involving claims of oppression, breach of fiduciary duty, misappropriation of trade secrets, and injunctive relief.
- Defended leading health care system and CEO in False Claims Act retaliation action.
- Counsel for national practice management company in arbitration against hospital and litigation against incumbent physician group arising from breach of contract, tortious interference, and defamation.
- Conducted large scale health-care internal investigation involving several dozen physician and staff interviews.
- Counsel for major physician group in tortious-interference action involving complex peer review and HIPAA issues.
- Represented plaintiff executive in fraud, embezzlement, and fiduciary-duty action against former partner in home health care company.
- Represented HMO in a series of contractual disputes with several physician groups.
- Defended prosthetics and medical equipment company in a multi-million-dollar trademark and post-closing adjustment action arising out of divestiture of a line of business.
- Counsel for plaintiff anesthesia services provider in mass tortious-interference and non-compete action.
- Counsel for software company in $100 million patent, copyright, trade secret, and unfair competition action.
- Represented plaintiff telecommunications company in two-week jury trial and appeal in fraud, fiduciary duty, and partnership dispute.
- Defended telephone company in $40 million fraud and preference action arising out of tariff dispute.
- Trial and appellate counsel for telecommunications company in negligence action arising out of allegedly misrouted emergency call.
- Represented plaintiff cloud-services company in partnership and fraud litigation arising out of government contracting.
- Trial and appellate counsel for a high-tech manufacturing portfolio company in a $4 million royalty dispute involving extensive electronic discovery and an accounting before a special master.
- Represented marketing and business-services company in non-competition, confidentiality, and trade-secret misappropriation action against former executive team.
- Represent telecommunications and insurance clients in defense of TCPA claims.
- Counsel for investment banking firm in industry arbitration with former partner involving misappropriation and self-dealing claims.
- Counsel for a national broker-dealer firm in FINRA customer arbitrations.
- Represented an investment advisory firm against derivative liability claims arising from financial advisor’s embezzlement.
- Represented a major marketing and business-services company in non-competition, confidentiality, and trade-secret misappropriation action against former executive team.
- Lead counsel for engineering firm in multi-party action involving a complex kickback scheme.
- Defended officers and directors of homebuilding company in fraudulent-transfer action.
- Lead counsel for major distributor of recreational vehicle equipment in defense of allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair trade practices, and tortious interference with contract.
- AT&T Inc.
- Ford Motor Company
- Daimler Trucks North America
- Roush Industries
- Tenet Healthcare
- Somnia, Inc.
- General Motors
- Edward Jones & Co., L.P.
- City of Detroit
- Nissan North America
- United Wholesale Mortgage