Business and Commercial
Discovery / Employee Depositions
Tulane University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2010
Loyola University New Orleans, B.S., Music Industry Studies, cum laude, 2005
Louisiana State and Federal Courts
Washington State Courts
United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
*Admission to Michigan bar pending. Currently practicing under the supervision of Michigan-barred attorneys.
Charles S. Smith focuses his practice on product liability litigation. Over the course of his career, Charles has honed his passion for emergent technologies and aptitude for social media research to obtain favorable results for his clients. His attention to detail and commitment to excellence have made him a valuable asset to companies in an array of fields, including the automotive, aviation, and heavy-equipment industries. Charles also has experience in a number of other areas of practice, including construction, real estate, insurance, employment, and intellectual property.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of motorcycle manufacturer in complex product liability case alleging unintended acceleration of “superbike”
- Assisted in securing summary judgment on behalf of helicopter manufacturer in products liability suit in federal court alleging defect in tiltrotor military aircraft designed and developed for the U.S. Department of Defense
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of employer in employment-discrimination and unlawful-termination case
- Successfully petitioned the Louisiana Supreme Court for reversal of judgment canceling millions of dollars of client’s mortgage securities
- Facilitated favorable resolution of high-exposure product liability and maritime lawsuit on behalf of helicopter manufacturer
- Secured summary judgment on behalf of automotive manufacturer in product liability case alleging defective restraints and crashworthiness
- Secured summary judgment on behalf of automotive manufacturer in high-exposure product liability case against eleven plaintiffs
- Assisted local non-profit in securing monthly revenue stream through successful negotiation and drafting of multi-year lease agreement of property to neighboring restaurant (pro bono)
Before joining Bush Seyferth PLLC, Charles was an associate attorney at McGlinchey Stafford PLLC and Shields Mott Lund LLP. Charles also has experience in the music and entertainment industries.
Charles received his J.D., cum laude, from Tulane University Law School, with a Certificate in International and Comparative Law. He also served as a managing editor of the Tulane Journal of Technology and Intellectual Property. He received his B.S., cum laude, in Music Industry Studies from Loyola University New Orleans.
Honors & Awards
Louisiana Super Lawyers, Rising Star (2019)
American Board of Trial Advocates, National Trial College Fellow
Emerging Philanthropists of New Orleans, Alumnus, Class of 2014
WRBH 88.3 FM, Reading Radio for the Blind and Print Handicapped, Board Member, 2013-present; Treasurer, 2017-present
“Investigative Techniques Using Advanced Technology and Social Media Law Update,” presented to Kentucky Defense Counsel, Inc.’s 2017 Spring Seminar (March 2017)
“Investigative Techniques Using Advanced Technology,” DRI For the Defense (December 2016)
“New Amendments to Federal Venue, Removal, and Other Rules,” American Bar Association Pretrial Practice & Discovery, (February 2012)
Enjoys going on adventures with wife Emily and three-legged Vizsla dog, Archie
Designs, makes, and wears Mardi Gras costumes