Leading insurers and self-insured companies turn to BSP for advice and representation in a wide variety of coverage disputes, including claims under life, health, disability, long-term care, ERISA, commercial general liability, no-fault auto insurance, and property and casualty policies, among others.
BSP has a track record of winning for our clients on summary judgment motions, at trial, and on appeal. In cases where summary judgment may be precluded by questions of fact or law, or where the circumstances dictate, BSP effectively negotiates settlements that are favorable for our clients.
- Bad Faith Litigation
- First- and Third-Party Auto Coverage, including PIP
- Life, Health, Disability and ERISA Interpleader Litigation
- Accidental Death Policies
- Annuity Contracts
- Agent Misconduct
- Specialty Lines
- Tort Claims Defense
- GAP Insurance
- Credit Life Insurance
- Premises Liability
Related Areas of Focus
BSP’s attorneys regularly litigate cases involving non-compete and non-solicitation agreements and misappropriation of trade secrets and customer information, and have litigated such cases involving insurance agents. We have also successfully represented insurers in cases alleging illegal redlining and wrongful termination of an agent.
- Metropolitan Life Insurance Company
- Minnesota Life Insurance Company
- Monumental Life Insurance Company
- Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company
- New York Life Insurance Company
- The Prudential Life Insurance Company of America
- Repwest Insurance Company
- Stonebridge Life Insurance Company
- Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company
- Transamerica Life Insurance Company
- U-Haul International, Inc.
Insurance Litigation Results
- Lead counsel in defense of leading life and disability insurer on ERISA claim.
- Counsel for national insurance company and agent in defense of claim that agent engaged in discriminatory redlining against potential customers.
- Trial and appellate counsel for national insurance company in defense of agent claim that agency was terminated based on illegal redlining.
- Trial counsel for national insurance company in claim against exclusive agent for wrongful solicitation of clients and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Obtained favorable settlement on behalf of excess insurer in connection with multi-party suit stemming from trucking accident.
- Represented insurers in various interpleader actions.
- Appellate counsel for national property and casualty insurance company.
- Michigan statewide counsel for leading national do-it-yourself moving and vehicle-rental company for insurance coverage, tort liability, and commercial litigation matters.
- Represented insurance company in Federal Arbitration Act appeal.
- Lead counsel and also Michigan counsel working with national counsel for several leading life insurance and annuity companies in interpleader cases.
- Counseled specialty insurance company in securities class action related to executive compensation.
- Served as co-counsel on appeal for hospital in insurance coverage dispute, successfully preserving $9 million judgment.
- Won dispositive motion on behalf of national insurance company against claim that agent promised life-insurance coverage.
Geographic Practice Area
BSP is a national-caliber litigation firm; our attorneys have successfully litigated matters in federal and state courts in over 30 states.